James Hansen, who directs the Program on climate science, awareness and solutions of the Earth Institute at Columbia University is excluded from addressing UN conferences on
climate change. Some UN officials organising such conferences obtain remuneration from Saudi Arabia. David Wasdell, one of the world's top 50 climate scientists, is also excluded.
This website has been reduced. More advanced material will be contained in the companion website www.theloveoftruth.ie. It is not yet set up.
Were we to do the impossible together we could not start it now.
The greatest defeat is the defeat of Hope. God gives us Hope. Know it well.
If repeated enquiries to find the truth have failed, and trying the impossible has hit the wall time and time again, there is no alternative but to give up and attain the same objectives
by different means.
CO2 emissions, an essential component in global warming, were 350 parts per million in 1988, and 441 parts per million
in 2018. It is necessary to emphasise there is very probably nothing we can do about it. A vast planetary system of research
and a deep commitment by its entire populace to move to correct solutions, given some luck, might have done something
in 1988. At 441, dreadfully any such prospect is lunatic. I maintain optimism, but it is irrational. The ridiculousness of our
collective imbecility is that some people do not even recognise the problem is there. It is a cognitive problem of the whole
of humanity. Because we are nuts we are are doomed. An unacceptable consolation is at my age - I feel very uncomfortable
about this - it is likely I will die before the rest of you.
Great Extinctions on Earth.
Like others I once thought the name homo sapiens, or wise man, for the human species was inappropriate. Our response
to climate catastrophe clearly shows it is a misrepresentation. Although it is not available by deed poll, I have changed this
self-assignation of myself and other humans to homo stultus, or stupid man.
Donald Trump wants Climate Catastrophe. Someone said: laughter is the best medicine. Laughter is flight from hate.
Someone else said: I am a warrior. At the End of the World, I will be there. But by lessening contrafactual directives, we
can seriously engage with Donald Trump. We will learn to love him and not hate him.
It is nice to link to people and organisations with technical information that could be effective in slowing down transition
to climate catastrophe. Here are two organisations, Grist and Treehugger.
Al Gore has greatly popularised climate catastrophe issues. I wanted to reference him on my website, but could not find
anything without giving him money. Like the hyper-rich with more power than Al Gore, I no longer need to accumulate it.
I always had other aims, and would decline any offer of money from him. It would go to good causes.
In proposing solutions I am forced by my pacifism to say we can do nothing about it. Helpless I fear the resulting catastrophe
will be far, far worse than anything after the great extinction. We must find ways of dying peacefully together. We are in a
planetary lunatic asylum where we have been allowed to self-exterminate ourselves and all other species around us. Perhaps
there is some civilisation in the galaxy that can know what we have done and use our planetry suicide as a lesson.
There is little else. I am not even angry. Tears express loss, between one or two loved ones. There is no evolutionary
process to express the extermination of a whole species and all life on the planet. Tears are useless.
Reality is now reaching certain death of large parts of the Earth population as ocean levels rise again. As is seen in the
'Our Galaxy' section, the South Pole is considerably cooler than the North. The knowledgeable can relocate. Others will
self-exterminate and the system is capable of exterminating almost all lifeforms on Earth. We will have failed everybody
if we allow this to happen.
A solution begun in the 'Engineering' section is to relocate to Mars as a Noah's Ark. The vacuum energies needed means
the "Physics" section has been restored. Vacuum Engineering is urgent, not as much in the North but the solutions are
Bini Majorana's antigravity is not unphysical - I just don't understand the physics from the novanionic point of view. The
Book of Judas might help, but it is weird.
1. The second edition of The Climate and Energy Emergencies.
Chapter 1 The big picture
Chapter 2 Climate science
Chapter 3 Climate consequences
Chapter 4 Models and responses to climate catastrophe
Chapter 5 Positive feedback and climate catastrophe
Chapter 6 Recent projections on climate catastrophe
Chapter 7 World energy
Chapter 8 Energy - the UK
Chapter 9 Models of energy and climate and
Chapter 10 Responses.
Return to Table of Contents.
Here are two links to the work of Doly Garcia in The Oil Drum. A New World Model Including Energy and Climate Change Data and New World Model - EROEI issues.
The rest contains my writings on eco energy issues, peak fuel and other resources, and on climate catastrophe. Some are with members of the Renewables Infrastructure Group of Hove Civic Society and Transition Brighton and Hove.
1. FTR, Forestation, Two child families, Renewable energy - three solutions to climate catastrophe. We must act decisively on climate catastrophe.
2. CHP/DH Shoreham Power Station is the initiating document on combined heat and power and district heating from Shoreham power station.
3. Manifesto for a New World Order. Ed Miliband said at a meeting at a Labour Party Conference that Martin Luther King could not have started his famous speech with 'I have a nightmare', and we need to talk about 'climate prosperity'. I have taken this up as a challenge!
4. The Energy and Climate Emergencies is the first edition of a work on problems and solutions to peak oil and climate catastrophe.
5. B&H Energy Descent and Resilience Action Plan (EDRAP) Version 1.0 was the April 2010 draft of the EDRAP (Energy Descent & Resilience Action Plan) for Brighton & Hove.
6. B&H Energy Descent and Resilience Action Plan (EDRAP) Outline was the original draft outline of the EDRAP Group's Energy Descent plan for Brighton & Hove.
7. Letter to Ed Miliband, Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change, January 2009. Note to Ed Miliband, on his visit to Brighton & Hove in February 2009 and comments on the above.
Return to Table of Contents.
This section has morphed to contain mainly contributions from B&H Transition Energy Group members. It contains my writings (usually in collaboration with, for example, members of the Omega Institute, the Labour Party or Transition Brighton and Hove, particularly its Energy and EDRAP Groups) on eco energy issues, peak fuel and other resources, and on climate change. It includes files downloadable on the internet by authors we are particularly interested in.
1. Bioregional One Planet Plan was the almost completed version of Bioregional's One Planet Plan for Brighton & Hove. A series of workshops took place, on Food, Happiness, Local Economy and Fair Trade, Materials, Transport, Waste, Water and Zero Carbon. Here are some of the other key associated documents for the EDRAP: Transition Town Lewes Energy Descent Plan, Preparing for Peak Oil, Brighton University Sustainability Master Plan, consisting of: 1 Front Cover, 2 Introduction, 3 Demographic Chapter, 4 Transport Chapter, 5 Food Chapter, 6 Power Chapter, 7 Water Chapter, 8 Waste Chapter, 9 Materials Chapter, 10 Conclusion, Thurstan Crockett's observations on the status of local government sustainability in Brighton & Hove, a Carbon Footprint Reduction Programme, a document on Clean Energy 2030, Climate Change Adaptation by Design - A Guide for Sustainable Living, a European Sustainable Cities document, Portland Peak Oil Task Force Recommendations, a study on Pragmatic Energy Policy, The Economics of Renewable Energy and the Total Energy Strategy Summary.
2. Gas Security in the UK contains three articles on Gas Security, or the lack of it, fronted by e-mail exchanges on this topic during December 2008.
3. The Oil Crunch: Securing the UK's Energy Future. On 29th October 2008 at The London Stock Exchange, eight leading UK companies launched this report, warning that a peak in cheap, easily available oil production is likely to hit by 2013, posing a grave risk to the UK and world economy. The warning comes from a broad spectrum of industry (Arup, FirstGroup, Foster + Partners, Scottish and Southern Energy, Solarcentury, Stagecoach Group, Virgin Group, Yahoo).
4. European CHP contains a company (COGEN Europe) notification on European Combined Heat and Power, with e-mail discussions on this during November/December 2008. The discussion refers to the report: American CHP.
5. Smart Grids contains e-mail exchanges on Smart Grids. Two sites are referenced in these discussions, on: European Smart Grids and American Smart Grids.
6. Standy Costs/Smart Electricity Meters Warning. Professor Alan Turner shows the amount of waste in the home due to leaving appliances on standby rather than switching them off at the wall socket. It represents about a third of the quarterly electricity bill. He has added an important note saying that many of the cheap 'energy meters' on the Internet give false readings.
7. The Omega Note on LED Traffic Lights. This note, to Brighton & Hove City Council, points out the energy efficiency savings of LED Traffic Lights.
8. The Omega Report on Incinerators, Version 1 and Version 2. This is the oldest of the reports, on the Veolia Incinerator at Newhaven, produced almost entirely by my colleague Graham Ennis, with a note on the Thermal Depolymerisation alternative to incinerators. We now know of other alternatives.
9. US Environmental Protection Agency Decision on CO2. The EPA decision on CO2 stimulated the e-mail discussion which follows in this document.
10. Reducing Energy. Is it possible to halve energy consumption and retain our present style of life? e-mail discussion.
11. Recession and Energy Projects. e-mail exchanges during December 2008 on the impact of the recession on energy infrastructure projects.
12. Email exchanges on Carbon Currency was an email exchange between myself, Doly Garcia and David Greenop, assembled in October 2008.
13. The Transition B&H Energy Group Submission on Renewables, the condensed version and the Executive Summary of this. This is the newest of the main reports (September 2008), a submission by five authors from Brighton & Hove Transition Energy Group to the Government consultation on Renewable Energy.
14. Proposals for B&H Wind Turbines, a preliminary note deals with two suggestions for wind turbines, including at Shoreham Harbour, plus email exchanges in October 2008.
15. Consultation with Scottish Power, Thistle Hotel, Brighton, December 2008.
16. Hansen's Comments to Obama, and reactions to it from Transition Energy Group members. Here is a link to a further letter, dated 2nd January 2009.
17. James Hansen's Kingsnorth Inquiry report, describes the Earth's climate history, sea level rise, species extinction and the human responsibility to curb fossil fuels - oil, gas and particularly coal.
18. Note to Hilary Benn was a note (part of it was questions) given to Hilary Benn at the Brighthelm Centre in Brighton on 23rd October 2008.
19. The Labour Party Working Group minority report on Climate Change, November 2007, by one of the group, Jim Adams.
20. The Sustainability Submission to the Labour Party Local Election Manifesto. This submission was the result of a manifesto forum dealing with sustainability issues.
21. The Omega Submission on the Government's "Green Paper". This note was our first submission on a UK government consultation process.
22. The Omega Note on a suggested Queen's Speech, a slightly tongue-in-cheek note arose out of the non-existent leadership elections.
23. The Green New Deal downloadable pdf file by the Green New Deal Group.
24. The David Wasdell scientific report on Climate Change Catastrophe, revised and expanded December 2008.
25. The Baer and Mastrandrea report, one of the first to undermine the Climate Change assumptions of the Stern Review.
26. The UK Energy Mix Fact Sheet, this contains data for 2007.
27. IPCC AR5, link to the IPCC Fifth Assessment Report on the Scientific Basis of Climate Change.
28. The Stern Review, a report on the Economics of Climate Change.
29. The Game of Crisis, download a cooperative board game for self-assembly. On reflection this game does not work because it is not based on the analysis of cooperative principles,
but as a modification of competitive ones. I invite someone, and there are a huge number of these people who are interested in games, to produce a proper cooperative game based on a
good assesment of what this should constitute. As a suggestion, but there well be many others, a cooperative game could be based on the attainment of one or more ethical objectives. Please
analyse how dice or other random devices relate to cooperative and competitive games. They seem intuitively to me to allocate some sort of control. An observation is that a substitute for
control (money) also exists in the social systems we study, and it could be random. It is need. My intuition is that cooperatitive games relate more to selection and deliberate choice, so
that a negotiation between players results in an optimum ethical outcome. Thus it involves strategy in a very interesting way, as a collective decision and negotiation to attain rationally
Return to Table of Contents.